Mentor, A Siemens Business QA Manager - 9660 in Turku, Finland
QA Manager - 9660
Company: Mentor Graphics
Job Title: QA Manager - 9660
Job Location: Finland - Turku
Job Category: R&D/Software Engineering
Mentor, a Siemens Business, is a global technology leader in electronic design automation software. Our software tools enable companies around the world to develop new and highly innovative electronic products faster and more cost-effectively. Our customers use our tools to push the boundaries of technology and physics in order to deliver better products in the increasingly complex world of chip, board and system design.
Valor PCB Manufacturing Solutions is the PCB industry’s first true end-to end software solution, extending Mentor Graphics offering from product design to the manufacturing shop floor. Valor software covers all phases of PCB manufacturing from new product introduction to assembly and test.
We are seeking an experienced QA Leader to join our Valor team in Turku as QA Manager, with the following responsibilities:
• Provide leadership for the QA/Test Team for Valor Process Prep
• Provide significant input in the release readiness process from the QA perspective
• Be the Quality Advocate for Process Prep by:
o Holding the team accountable for quality in the regular decisions they make
o Working with the Solution Architects and Product Owners to shape new functionality and ensure usability meets customer expectations.
o Leading team in testing activities like code bashes to harden functional areas
o Providing estimates of testing effort and proposes automated solutions during initial phases of software development. Articulates concerns about testability of new features if necessary
• Drive the development of a comprehensive test environment maximizing efficiency by:
o Creating automated test coverage for new functionality. This should sufficiently ensure the functionality is working correctly release to release without additional manual testing
o Understanding Test Farm knowledge - know how to run, review, and update automate tests.
o Creating responsible tests using the right size designs with manageable replays.
o Uses specific testing conditions to verify a given scenario, avoiding checks that are too general (Ex: unnecessary log file comparisons).
o Documenting regression tests so other teams/developers can easily understand what the test is doing
o Detecting tests created using designs in incorrect state and fixes/removes them. (Ex: tests with completely broken designs where tests pass)
o Understanding SVN and branching strategies used by Test Farm and our development process
o Ensuring automated coverage is added for each defect if coverage does not already exist
o Pushing the team to create new testing methods for functionality that cannot be automated today
o Using Code Coverage to reduce the number of tests being run.
o Using Code Coverage as a subjective measure of sufficient automated coverage for a functional area
o Requesting new instrumentation commands be created as needs arise
o Proactively implements new testing methods and tools that may improve quality
o Using bulk/parametric testing techniques to ensure broader coverage of functional areas
• Degree in Software Engineering or related field
• Significant knowledge and practical experience in software test methodology including automation
• Good knowledge of design and engineering processes in the electronics vertical industries, including a deep understanding of the competitive environment (strength, weakness, opportunity, threat)
• Proven track record of delivering projects on time
• Possess scripting skill (e.g., C#, perl, java, etc)
• Experience in Microsoft Visual Studio environment
• Have the ability to use debugger tools to investigate defects
• Be able to analyze source code for code coverage exercises
• Excellent English communication skills; both verbal and written; particularly the ability to communicate effectively with management on software issues and how that may impact service.
• Experience of agile software development processes. Instill the importance of community teamwork across all disciplines.
• In-depth knowledge of quality assurance practices
• Ability to manage effectively in a fast-paced engineering organization
• Have ability to reach decisions under conditions of uncertainty or high risk
• Travel anticipated (10%), must have no travel constraints